The holiday season approaches again, so now we have to all consider what's the best gift for those special people in our lives. But there are so many different gift lists and guides out there already that some may already have a good idea what to get. Instead, this year the focus here is going to be on a special group of individual: the geeks...
Top Holiday Gifts for Geeks
The Monty Python Killer Bunny slippers are a great gift for any geek.
Right now we're out there scouring the Web to find those perfect holiday gifts for the geek in your life, and if you think that the above suggestion is too geeky or not geeky enough, never fear, for in a few days you'll find a few different geek gift lists right here on these pages to help with those critical decisions.
In the meantime, here is a list of items that you should perhaps avoid getting for a geek:
- Swiss Army Knife - chances are that your geek already has a number of these received in previous years. The exceptions here would be if the knife has at least 50 tools or is one of those special models with 1GB or greater of USB memory.
- Computer games - unless your geek has a special request, it's best to avoid these. Computer games are a very personal thing.
- Geek Squad gift certificate - just don't. Enough said.
- A CD with 1001 screen savers - cute, but your geek already knows how to download these same screen savers for free.
- Socks - do you want to remind your geek of his great aunt Matilda, who's probably still giving him the same argyle socks each year?
- Dress shirts - he or she has them already, and they're probably still new in the package because they aren't being worn. Better to stick to work shirts or humorous t-shirts.
- An biography of Bill Gates or Steve Jobs - he or she probably tell you more about them than would fit in most books. Save your money.
- A gift card for cell phone ringtones - only if it's a joke.
- An atlas - come on, if the geek you know doesn't already own the latest GPS, he or she has been using the 'Net for years to find and print out directions.
OK, if you absolutely, positively have to get that gift immediately and can't wait a few more days for our lists, there is one thing that always works:
Can't think of a true geek whom it's not a major food group. It just comes with the territory If all else fails, buy 'em a pound or two of their favorite coffee. Gift cards from Starbuck's usually work, too.
For those that are still looking, check back here in a few days and you find the first of a few of holiday gift lists specifically for geek, things in all price ranges, and some that are purely for fun!